Nimona also known as Pea Curry is a traditional dish or village recipe, very much famous in Uttar Pradesh especially in Gorakhpur. It’s specially made in winter and also known as green curry because of it’s green colour. Pea Curry Recipe is very simple to cook and serve.
Nimona or Pea Curry Recipe
Preparation time -1 hour
Ingredients :- (for 3 peoples)
- Pea (matar) – 500 gm
- Green chili – as per taste
- Green onion – 2/3
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tbs
- Cumin seeds( Zeera) – 1 tea spoon
- Asafoetida (Hing) – (pinch of)
- Ghee -1tbs
- Garam masala:- (Black cardamom -1 , black pepper- ½ tea spoon ,bay leaf – 1 long , cloves -1, cinnamon – 1 small piece )
- Garam masala powder – 1 & ½ tea spoon
- Meat masala – 1tea spoon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaf – 1 cup
First thing to do is prepare pea paste:-
Make three parts of peas, make one part as thick paste, make semi thick paste of another part and remain parts of peas should be as it is.
Now take a pressure cooker or it will be best if you can find any terracotta cooking bowl. Put ghee in it ,add zeera ( cumin seeds) , garam masala (Black cardamom -1 , black pepper- ½ tea spoon ,bay leaf – 1 long , cloves -1, cinnamon – 1 small piece ) , Asafoetida (Hing ), green onion (chopped) sauté ,till it turns pink . Now add ginger garlic paste and meat masala fry it as you get aroma of spices add both type of peas paste in it (i.e. thick and semi thick paste) and fry for 1 minute, pour 2 cup of water in masala paste on high flame as the gravy get boiled, add remaining peas and garam masala ,salt . Let it boil for 45 minutes (approx.) on low flame, if you find dark green or blackish spot on side of curry & gives a soothing aroma, it means your “Nimona” is ready to eat check pea whether it is boiled or not ,if it is boiled then switch off the stove , garnish it with coriander leaf and “serve your Nimona with zeera rice or plain rice or pulao
- You can add potato or cauliflower or paneer pieces in it but fry it before adding in gravy.
- As Peas paste sticks too much, so continuously stir it or add ghee in it as required.
- Instead of using meat masala, you can use coriander masala powder too